Instagram has kindly dropped a great new feature in the last couple of weeks and we think you are going to like it!
The new feature enables you to add alt text to photos in an effort to make the platform more user friendly.
Instagram users can add their own custom alternative text that can be read by screen readers to make it easier for people with visual impairments to use Instagram.
Users can let Instagram add alternative text automatically, which will use object recognition technology to generate a description of the photo text so users can hear descriptions of photos through screen reader when on their feed.
Alternative text can be added to photos during the publishing process by following the steps below:
- Start by taking a photo or uploading an existing photo to Instagram.
- Choose a filter and edit the image, then tap Next.
- Tap Advanced Settings at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Alt Text.
- Write your alt text in the box and tap Done.
Alternative text can also be added to existing photos by following these steps:
- Go to the photo and tap the three-dot menu icon.
- Tap Add Alt Text in the bottom right.
- Write the alt text in the box and tap Done.
These are just Instagrams initial steps toward creating a more user friendly Instagram.